Discussion forum about PANORAMIC language
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Discussion forum about PANORAMIC language

Mac, Windows & Android application development with PANORAMIC language

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Latest topics
» What happened with the panoramic language ?
by Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:09 pm

» Hello world.
by Wed May 09, 2018 11:53 pm

» Biomorphes de PICKOVER
by Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:33 am

» In less than 10 lines of code
by Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:03 am

» Effect Dopler
by Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:29 am

» SuperEllipse
by Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:01 am

» Plants
by Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:38 am

» Mira's attractor
by Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:30 am

» Triangle of Sierpinski
by Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:22 am

» Esthétique polaire
by Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:16 am

» Butterfly effect : Lorenz equations
by Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:08 am

» Collision detection
by Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:09 am

» The Bees Laline Paull Epub Books
by Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:58 pm

» PANORAMIC for Mac OSX 10 is available
by Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:08 pm

» ide
by Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:27 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Write MIDI file

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Joerg

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2009-07-11

Write MIDI file Empty
PostSubject: Write MIDI file   Write MIDI file EmptyThu Oct 23, 2014 7:44 am

Hi everyone,

what I would love Very Happy to have, is the possibility to write to MIDI file from text or numbers or whatever. Just one track and single notes would be ok. I couldn't find any BASIC like language, that supports this feature, so I think it would be unique.

What do you think?
Joerg
Back to top Go down
kawe

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2010-11-07

Write MIDI file Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write MIDI file   Write MIDI file EmptyThu Oct 23, 2014 5:15 pm

Hi Joerg,

in my opinion, this is far beyond the the idea of any programming language.
What you want is a converter from a non-standard to a standard format.
And these are IMHO programming demands and not language demands.

If you like to you can do this yourself. The MIDI file specification is open, e.g.:

http://www.fileformat.info/format/midi/corion.htm

But the first question is: why do you need this at all?

As a long as you want to create MIDI-files you could use  one of the powerful MIDI editors:
     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_MIDI_editors_and_sequencers

As long as you want to get PANORAMIC Basic playing some beeps read from a text file you don't need any MIDI files.
Just parse your text file and create MIDI sound as you like by a little program ...
Back to top Go down
Joerg

Write MIDI file Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write MIDI file   Write MIDI file EmptyThu Oct 23, 2014 6:23 pm

Hi kawe,

thanks for your reply and the link. What's so strange about having such a function? Program languages do save to bitmapfiles, wavfiles. Why not to MIDI? I know, it's an open fileformat and I tried a few things, but the fileformat is tricky, for a hobby programmer like myself. I don't know, if you ever tried yourself. That's why I asked this question...

The idea was to create something like Musimat (http://www.musimat.com)

Panoramic is the language, which I mostly use at present, because it's easy and application development goes pretty fast. Jack has the ability to make thinks easy for us users. Look what you can do with a few simple commands in Panoramic. This is awesome and I hope there will be a commercial version to ensure further development.

Best regards,
Joerg
Back to top Go down
kawe

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2010-11-07

Write MIDI file Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write MIDI file   Write MIDI file EmptyFri Oct 24, 2014 1:30 pm

Joerg wrote:
[...]
Program languages do save to bitmapfiles, wavfiles. Why not to MIDI? I know, it's an open fileformat and I tried a few things, but the fileformat is tricky, for a hobby programmer like myself.
[..]

The difference is that some file formats are straight forward representations (sometimes called "serialization") of the original data while others are a "description" of the data.

If you took a photo and show it anywhere in the world everyone who is able to see will realise what the photo is about.
But if you "describe" what is shown on the photo (e.g. over a telephone line) things are much harder: The receiver of your description has to know the language you speak. He must understand the meaning and he must be a pretty good painter if he wants to recunstruct the photo by your description. In other words:
It is easy to display a MS Word document in a program if you "took a photo (screenshot) of it" e.g. as a bitmap file.
It is nearly impossible to render it if you only got the "doc(x)" file without having MS Word or at least a Wordviewer or compatible program. "doc", "docx", "rtf" are descriptive (like your phone call) while "bmp", "png", or "jpg" are "serializations" like color spots on a sheet of paper.

Concerning sound files it's pretty much the same. A "wav" file is like a digital recording on a CD. It is a serialization of sound. Nearly everybody is able "to make music" by playing a CD as long as he has got a CD player. (In fact, the wav format very similar to how sound data is stored on a CD).
A midi file is nothing but a description of music. It is sheet music.
"A [hand]written [or printed] form of music notation that uses modern musical symbols." (cited from Wikipedia)
Go out and buy a printed score of a symphony and enjoy it! You can't??? You only see endless symbols representing pitches and durations and parts and lines and dots don't making any music themselves?

So you need a conductor and good musicians and good instruments to get the score alive.
Or the other way round: It's easy to record a concert with your IPhone. But how to get a (printed) score from it?

So for serialization you need some technical equipment - that's all. No matter whether you use a gramophone or a modern PC. It is a 'function' like you said.
For description (and re-performing) you need: skills! (of a composer or musician, of a painter or novel writer - or, in your case - of a programmer).
This is not a 'function'. It is much more. It is, in your words, a program - like Musimat.

Joerg wrote:
[...]
Panoramic is the language, which I mostly use at present, because it's easy and application development goes pretty fast. Jack has the ability to make thinks easy for us users. Look what you can do with a few simple commands in Panoramic. This is awesome and I hope there will be a commercial version to ensure further development.
[..]

Of course, Jack could maybe do this job to satisfy your needs. So he would implement such a 'program' in PANORAMIC you can call by a couple of simple words. Like spinning around a teapot. But - if I'd prefer a beer glass? If I don't want it to spin around but to empty it out on the desktop leaving a 'wet' spot on it it?
I'd have to do it myself.
A good programming language can help me to realise and perform my ideas. Like good instruments will help good musicians to perform music. But the job is mine ...

Finally, every good programming language will *degrade* somehow if it gets too complex - i.e. if it handles to many complex jobs for you.

Just look at other languages (From C, C++ Visual C++, C#, ...) or from Java 1 to Java nowadays. They are Jumbo jets now.
I know what I'm speaking of. These languages are part of my every day's job.
But even they are not able to realise your wishes themselves without your skills.

No - I guess, you and me, we are both here, because we are looking for something much less complex.
For a cesna we can spend a nice week-end with. Aren't we?

Last edited by kawe on Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Joerg

Write MIDI file Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write MIDI file   Write MIDI file EmptyFri Oct 24, 2014 6:22 pm

kawe,

thanks for your very detailed reply. I googled "write MIDI file" and got a few Million entries and google suggestions like "write MIDI file java...write MIDI file C++...write MIDI file python...write MIDI file delphi..." Seems like even the "Jumbos" look for such a feature. But you're right, it's up to us to choose the right tool for the job...

Joerg
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Write MIDI file Empty
PostSubject: Re: Write MIDI file   Write MIDI file Empty

Back to top Go down

Write MIDI file
Page 1 of 1